Aug 19, 2015 – Organized in Manila and provinces of Capiz and Aklan in the Philippines, journalists from 3 nations experienced what makes the All-New Tucson a key part of Hyundai Motor’s already impressive line-up.
The event, which marks the introduction of all-new Tucson to Asia-Pacific region, provided the opportunity for the press to test drive the vehicle along the road to one of the best tropical destinations in the world, the island of Boracay. In addition to visiting an important astrological observatory and local landmarks, the route demonstrated SUV’s dual purpose of satisfying customers’ need for adventure while providing a comfortable ride in urban driving conditions.
Previous generations of Tucson have sold approximately 3 million units globally. The All-New Tucson is expected to provide a significant boost in sales and further solidify Hyundai Motor’s leadership in the continually growing compact SUV segment. This early, the all-new Tucson already proved itself a winner, as it was named Best Compact-sized Utility Vehicle in Germany by prestigious automotive magazines Auto Bild and Auto Zeitung. The Tucson was adjudged the best SUV by occupying first spot in five out of seven categories, beating out four major SUV models in Germany.
Striking exterior design
Continuing Hyundai Motor’s Fluidic Sculpture design theme, the All-New Tucson employs refined aesthetics with sculpted body orms and sporty contours for a bold, dynamic and athletic appearance. The front is dominated by a large hexagonal-shaped grill nd LED-incorporated head lamps that harmoniously combine to create a bold, modern design. Sharp and agile design makes his model’s side profile sleeker and sportier, while extra-wide rear combination lamps make the rear appearance look balanced and fresh.
Larger interior with a premium touch
Harmony between the Tucson’s dynamic exterior and roomy interior has been achieved through the optimization of its packaging and design. The sophisticated and functional interior is designed to provide an intuitive human machine interface, while the horizontal layout of the dashboard gives a stable and roomy interior feel.
The All-New Tucson is larger than its predecessor and offers increased leg and headroom and extra cargo space. A generous 513-liter cargo area easily accommodates larger amounts of luggage. A new feature is a dual-level rear cargo floor, which further enhances the vehicle’s cargo-carrying versatility and a 1,094 mm-wide opening tailgate makes loading and unloading easier.
The utilization of quality materials such as soft coverings on the upper and lower parts of the door trim and door armrest give the vehicle’s interior a sense of enhanced, premium quality.
Dynamic driving performance with a comfortable ride
With clever suspension and engineering enhancements, the All-New Tucson is more responsive, delivering better handling and quieter, smoother, more comfortable ride. Its aerodynamics have been improved and provide a class-leading drag coefficient Cd. 0.33), giving the vehicle enhanced high speed stability and a sleek look.
The state-of-the-art AWD system helps the All-New Tucson maintain the maximum traction on rough, loose or slippery surfaces and improves lateral stability cornering. It employs Advanced Traction Cornering Control (ATCC), which is the next generation in WD traction. Previously, AWD systems control wheel spin by braking a spinning wheel or cutting power from the engine. The new ATCC system transfers torque to the wheels that have the most grip.
Advanced structural engineering and an expanded use of sound-absorbing materials has helped achieve enhanced noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) performance levels (see appendix), particularly noticeable when compared to competitors.
Safety through the innovation of chassis and body rigidity
The Tucson’s many passive and active safety features have earned the All-New Tucson top safety ratings including the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety’s highest ‘Good’ rating on the ‘Small-Overlap’ Test and a 5-star NHTSA rating in the US market. It ensures best-in-class skeletal-rigidity through the greater use of Advanced High Strength Steel and a hot-stamping process. The use of Advance High Strength Steel has increased from 18% to a total of 51% and provides enhanced safety and riving performance.
Vehicle Stability Management (VSM) helps to ensure safe and predictable performance when simultaneously braking and cornering, especially on wet, slippery and rough roads, achieved through cooperative control between Electronic Stability Control (ESC) and Motor Driven Power Steering (MDPS). The standard front and rear disc brakes have been enlarged to help the driver deal with unstable driving conditions and enhance accident avoidance. The Blind Spot Detection (BSD) provides a visual alert in the side mirrors and cluster display, also an audible alert may be triggered if the driver signals to turn into the blind spot area. The All-New Tucson can be equipped with six airbags that deploy in dual stages at varying pressures depending on crash speed. This system minimizes the chance of injury that could be caused by airbag deployment.
|Exterior Vehicle Dimensions|
- Eight exterior colors available including:
- Pure White, Phantom Black, Platinum Silver, Pepper Gray, Galaxy Pearl, Ruby Wine, Sepia Topaz, Milk Tea, Sedona Orange, Ara Blue
- Available LED headlamps, LED Daytime running lights, LED rear combination lamps
- Outside folding mirror with repeater
- Panoramic sunroof, Roof rack, Aerodynamic rear spoiler, 17” & 18” alloy wheels
|Interior Vehicle Dimensions and Luggage Space|
|Front Seat Headroom|
1,005 mm / 963 mm
|Rear Seat Headroom|
995 mm / 969 mm
|Front Seat Legroom/Max.||1,053 mm / 1,129 mm|
|Rear Seat Legroom|
|Luggage capacity (ℓ)|
|Tailgate Opening Width (mm)|
- Interior color schemes: Black Pure Tone, Gray Two-Tone, Beige Two-Tone, Red Wine
- Supervision Cluster
- Driver power seat with leather, 60:40 Split foldable Rear Seats, Reclining rear seats
- Luggage net and screen, Storage compartment under luggage board
Nu 2.0 MPI
R 2.0 CRDi
6MT / 6AT
6MT / 6AT
157 / 6,200
155 / 6,200
178 / 4,000
185 / 4,000
20.0 / 4,000
19.6 / 4,000
41 / 1,750 ~ 2,750
41 / 1,750 ~ 2,750
186 (MT) / 181 (AT)
201 (MT) / 201 (AT)
184 (MT) / 180 (AT)
10.6 (MT) / 11.1 (AT)
9.5 (MT) / 9.3 (AT)
11.3 (MT) / 11.8 (AT)
|2WD||7.9 (MT) / 8.6 (AT)|
7.5 (MT) /
5.9 (MT) /
5.3 (MT) /
7.9 (MT) /
|8.0 (MT) / 8.2 (AT)|
186 (MT) /
/ 184 (AT)
/ 175 (AT)
/ 159 (AT)
186 (MT) / 204 (AT)
|189 (MT) / 194 (AT)|
- Available All-wheel Drive system with Advanced Traction Cornering Control (ATCC)
- Driver selectable 4WD Lock Mode: Establishes a set 50/50 split of power to the front and rear wheels
- Motor Driven Power Steering (MDPS) enhances handle responsiveness dramatically
- Aerodynamics: Class-leading 0.33 Cd (Coefficient of drag)
- 51% Composition of Advanced High Strength Steel improves body rigidity for improved safety and performance
- 6 airbags (dual front, side and curtain)
- Vehicle Stability Management (VSM)
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC): monitors the position of the vehicle in relation to the turning of the steering wheel to intervene and apply brakes individually on each wheel to ensure stability of the vehicle
- Hill-Start Assist Control and Downhill Brake Control help avoid collisions by preventing roll-back and roll-forward respectively (part of ESC package)
- Electronic parking brake for automatic transmission variant
- Rear view camera/Electronic Chromic Mirror (ECM)
- Iso-Fix Tether Anchors
|NVH Improvement (Base: R2 engine equipped)|
Current Tucson (dB)
All-New Tucson (dB)
|Idle vibration (Steering wheel)|
|Idle vibration (Floor)|
- Smart Power Tail Gate
- Rear Air Vent
- Smart Key & Button Start